Taking time to "be" is more efficient
When you are feeling stressed out, on overload and ready to implode, this simple yet powerful technique can put you back at ease. In our fast paced world we are so often tied to our "to do " lists and deadlines that we don't honor the messages our body is giving us to slow down. That often results in illness from stress.
The reality is, if we allow ourselves time to "be" we can come back to tasks renewed and more efficiently than if we try to muscle through.
Here's what you do:
- Find a place where you can be comfortable and undisturbed for two minutes. Set your timer on your phone to go off with a gentle tone to bring you out of the exercise without startling you.
- You can sit with your back supported, or lie down if that is an option. Place one hand on your abdomen when you are new to this process.
- Now, take a slow, deep breath in, all the way into your belly. Your hand should rise with the breath to let you know you are breathing into your belly. Breathe in for the count of six.
- Breathe out slowly and completely for the count of six. Focus your attention only on your breathing. If your mind wanders, just gently bring it back to your breathing.
- Keep going like this for two minutes. How do you feel?
Science has shown that two minutes of deep breathing releases the "feel good" chemicals in the brain like endorphins and oxytocin. When we are stressed, we often hold our breath or breathe very shallowly. Take a breath, relax and renew to be your best self!