An organized desk will lead to higher levels of productivity throughout the day.Everyone possesses some type of organizational skills. Granted, some are better at it than others but even if you are an organizational misfit there are many things that you can do to improve. The following is a short list of things that you can do to advance your organizational expertise.
Determine your strengths and weaknesses – Some people have no problem keeping appointments, but their houses are cluttered wrecks. Decide where your organizational danger zones are and key in on those.
- Plan your day – If tardiness is one of your weak spots then by all means buy an appointment book or a day planner. Write down all meetings, engagements and get-togethers of any kind.
- De-clutter – If your home looks like the aftermath of a great war then you either have small children or you are an organizational nonconformist who is merely expressing your individuality. If the latter is true then you should begin looking into storage options. You would be amazed at the awesome things they do with milk crates these days.
- Mother knew best – Who doesn’t remember mom harping on about “a place for everything and everything in its place”? Well, as irritating as it was back then, apparently it’s true. Establish a spot for every little thing and return it to that location when you are through.
- Exercise clutter control – Set up your home or office to run more efficiently. Eliminate “junk drawers” by overhauling their contents and sectioning them off into little compartments that hold items like batteries or paperclips.
- Show some PDA – If you are unable to execute the entire process of writing appointments down and remembering to check them in an efficient manner, then invest in some type of PDA. It will actually notify you when something needs done. The only action required from you is entering it into the device (you can do this!).
- Get back into baby food – One great workshop organizer is to secure the lids of baby food jars to the underside of an easily assessable area such as a shelf or workbench. Fill the jars with small screws, nails and other odds and ends, and screw the jars to the lids, suspending them from the surface above.
- Hang on – If you have sufficient room, a ton of storage space can be freed up if you hang pots and pans from the ceiling or other appropriate surface.
- Change is your friend – Above all, you will need to change your ways. All the organizational skills in the world won’t matter if you don’t “put everything in its place,” as mother would say. If you are just as much of a ne'er-do-well as you always were then it probably won’t work.
System organization is easily obtained through planning and a little bit of diligence. Don’t let clutter overrun your life, give your garage back to your car.
If, after trying for a time, you find that you truly have no clue about concept of organizational matters, get a life coach on your side. They are experts at helping you de-clutter your life.